Saturday, May 30, 2015

Nikki's CE 132

It took me a number of semesters before I was able to get CE 132 during the enlistment period. Before this sem started, with the enlistment priority of a graduating student, I was positive that I will finally get the subject. Even though it was not our (2010’s) season to get CE 132, it wasn’t bad at all; because to take the subject in my, hopefully, last semester in college, I was already able to see what is done in most of the different fields in our degree program except for the field of envi engg. Taking note that I took CE 131 a bit earlier than usual (2nd yr), the time gap between the two subjects made me a bit nervous of how I would handle CE 132. But, with all the lectures, group works, videos, and other class activities, CE 132, overall, made me appreciate civil engineering more.

CE 132 was able to show that civil engineering is not simply about bridges, buildings, and other infrastructures, it was also about keeping the environment healthy and people safe from contaminated resources, specifically when it comes to wastewater management.


Simple activities such as measuring our own water consumption made me realize how much water I use and how important it is to have sources of clean water. This activity somehow states how essential clean water is to us as individuals; while the activity wherein we went to a river, specifically the one under the bridge in Araneta Avenue, made me realize of how important it is for us civil engineers to-be to know how to treat wastewater and bring safer water to many people.  

Overall, CE 132 made me love CE more. It showed me that CE is not just "work" that you would do in the future for the sake of having a job; it is a path that we chose in order to serve as many people as possible by providing them safe structures and water systems.

For this fun semester, thank you, groupmates! Thank you, Sir O! Thank you CE 132!!!

- Nikki :)

No comments:

Post a Comment